This position provides direct supervision, management, coaching and development of Project Team and/or other Project Engineers.
When projects are located in an outside engineering firm, the Project Management Group Head is the liaison between the contractor and us.
In addition, the incumbent is responsible to ensure that all the required resources are identified and available for this projects.
The Project Management Group Head reports in line with the Vice President, Project Management. On most projects, the Project Management Group Head may report to a Project Steering Committee, which is a multi-departmental group including upper management personnel from the divisions and departments involved with the project.
The Project Management Group Head provides supervision of a project team with members from engineering services discipline, personnel, plant site, etc. assigned to his/her projects. A major project may have three or more supporting project engineers and in excess of 50 contract personnel assigned. The project staff typically consists of engineers and designers from the process/project, piping, mechanical, civil/structural/architectural, and process control systems.
Major Tasks & responsibilities
This Project Management Group Head fills a key role, bringing together the technical requirements to meet the customer’s business needs.
The primary thrust of this position is management, execution, and control of major capital investment projects (up to $150 expenditures) from conception through start-up. The jobholder’s successful execution of these projects is critical to the business result.
- Maintain a close working relationship, with Business Unit in order to define, plan, budget, and execute required capital projects.
- Provide direct technical and economic input on Appropriation Request preparation.
- Manage the implementation of capital projects.
- This includes concept development, basic engineering, process optimization, technical and economic evaluation of alternatives, scope definition and control,estimating, cost control, scheduling, ensuring schedule compliance,detailed engineering and design, compliance with engineering, safety and environmental standards and procedures, procurement of goods and services, overall supervision of construction and preparation of information for submittal of environmental permit applications.
- Identify project requirements and secure the necessary engineering discipline, engineering services, procurement, and construction support to execute the capital plans and/or the assigned projects (internal and/or outsourcing). Supervise the activities of project engineers and discipline personnel assigned to the projects. Coordinate activities as required by the respective Engineering Discipline leads.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with the many support groups within our company, both local and global, in order to obtain the timely input of their requirements into the capital projects and their assistance in project execution.
- These groups include global, corporate and site Environmental Control, Industrial Hygiene and Plant Safety, Mechanical and PCS Maintenance and Engineering, Plant Administration and Planning, Purchasing, Accounting and Law Departments as well as the many groups in the company and QA/QC and Regulatory AffairsDepartments, if applicable.
- Participate as chairperson on Project Steering Committees, be a focal point between Project Team and Steering Committee on project issues and decisions.
- Prepare and execute Capital Projects in accordance with department vision, mission, commitment, and goals. Includes selection of engineering, procurement and construction approaches, selection of potential vendors and contractors, evaluation of bids and approval of successful candidates.
- Also includes qualification and validation approaches, if applicable.
- Provide management with updated analysis and projections on the status of capital projects focusing on management of change, schedule compliance, cost control and major project highlights.
- Manages a team of our staff and/or 3rd party engineers on the team providing guidance and/or direction in the area of concept development,basic engineering, process optimization, technical and economic evaluation of alternatives, scope definition and control, estimating,cost control, scheduling, ensuring schedule compliance, detailed engineering and design, compliance with engineering, safety and environmental standards and procedures, procurement of goods and services, overall supervision of construction and preparation of information for submittal of environmental permit applications.
- Participates in the recruitment, evaluation, training, and development of project support and discipline personnel.
- Provides input to support the development of strategic and/or operational policies, practices and procedures.
- Evaluates and promotes innovative engineering practices and other opportunities for continual improvement for the business area assigned and of services provided by the Engineering Department.
- Business Unit RAP Planning CapEx Forecast and management responsibility for the Business
- Engineering (global and local), accounting, operations and leadership groups to ensure that their requirements are met and obtain input/resources from them.
- BS degree, preferably in Chemical Engineering, is a minimum for understanding and evaluating technical input for engineering concepts, drawings, and strategies, for supervision of discipline engineering and construction groups, and for interpretation and prioritization of diverse and complex engineering activities, in order to obtain an optimal design for plant operability and cost-effectiveness.
- Proven experience in successfully leading CapEX investments up to$150MM
- A broad and sound understanding of principles and design of the project discipline activities is a must for obtaining a complete design concept.
- This position requires significant experience directly related to principles and procedures (both in-house and outsourcing methods) of process/project engineering and experience in controlling and integrating the activities associated with design/construction projects.
- Such experience would typically be gained through (BS & 10+ years /MS & 6-8+ years / Ph.D. & 4-6+ years) of combined engineering and project engineering/management job exposure.
- An understanding of general business principles and procedures is beneficial in the handling of cost-related aspects of project management. Interaction with and evaluation of proposals from various levels of people from different groups (both within and outside the company) is frequent and requires good communicative skills and the ability to influence and direct others toward common objectives.
- Experience at a GmbH and knowledge of the German language is highly beneficial because of the close contact maintained with GmbH on many projects.
- Excellent communication skills and computer literacy are mandatory.Successful completion of a management training course is desirable.- another major financial magnitude to describe the importance of the position:
- This position is responsible for the execution and management of direct project engineering team as well as capital investment projects.
- The incumbent is accountable for meeting all scope requirements, including achieving product quality and design capacity, and completing the project within the scheduled time frame and appropriate budget.
For immediate consideration, please submit a recent resume in MS Word format in addition to a detailed cover letter with salary expectations.