SOX Subject Matter Expert: Governance & Oversight SEC Reporting/Financial Controls & Oversight Senior Consultant
Enterprise Finance & Information Technology offers technology and services that exceeds customer expectations and directly enable them to succeed financially. We interact with customers more than 12 billion times a year through in-store, online, ATM, and telephone transactions. We impact customers directly, through systems availability and security, as well as indirectly, through our business partners who offer and deliver a myriad of products and services that meet customers’ financial needs. We provide a competitive advantage for the company through excellence in fundamentals, integrated partnerships, and our talented and engaged team members.
Controller’s Group Division is responsible for the Company’s financial statements, establishing corporate accounting policies, preparing SEC and regulatory reports and ensuring the adequacy of internal controls. The Division also manages and supports the Company’s General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Fixed Assets systems.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong understanding of SEC Reporting governance and controls to join our Governance and Oversight team as a subject matter expert (SME). The Governance and Oversight team has enterprise-wide exposure to key stakeholders within the external financial reporting infrastructure and is a component of the Enterprise Controls & Oversight group that reports to the Corporate Controller.
The team supports the company’s on-going objective of maintaining an industry leading financial and regulatory reporting control environment and is responsible for the following directives:
- Providing meaningful assessments of the current financial and regulatory reporting control environment, including internal control over the Company’s financial and regulatory reporting environment
- Development, governance and oversight of COSO based policies for internal controls over financial and regulatory reporting. Strategic planning to maintain industry leading financial and regulatory reporting COSO polices and proactive anticipation of internal control related matters
- Monitoring new and emerging internal control and financial and/or regulatory reporting related guidance and issues and assist with facilitating group-wide training to interested and impacted stakeholders
- Providing consultation and subject matter expertise for process and control related matters, including evaluating severity of control deficiencies and related remediation efforts
- Providing process and control support and thought leadership for EC&O sponsored projects
- Interfacing with regulators, external auditors, and other stakeholders on control related matters
- Acting as a change agent for continual improvement of the control environment and building/adopting best practices.
This individual will be governance & oversight subject matter expert with an emphasis on financial and regulatory reporting that is subject to COSO-based policies and will lead oversight responsibilities for complex subject matter/control areas.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Communicating and providing strategic consultation to senior leaders throughout the organization
- Providing technical interpretation of guidelines or reporting of results of the most complex elements of the company’s COSO policy and Governance & Oversight framework.
- Leading initiatives around process design, identification of important risk points, evaluating severity of control deficiencies and monitoring of related remediation efforts.
- Providing process and control support and thought leadership for governance and oversight related projects.
- Leading the implementation of complex projects/initiatives with cross-enterprise impacts.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated team player that has mastery level expertise in COSO, is a self-starter who is accustomed to working in complex organizations with a diverse group of stakeholders, and someone who is able to withstand challenges and adapt accordingly.
This individual should have practical experience with financial reports filed with the regulatory agencies (FRB, OCC, FDIC) and knowledge of financial services products.
Additionally, the candidate should possess executive presence and be accustomed to presenting material to senior executives.
The candidate should be flexible, be able to withstand challenges and adapt accordingly.
- 6+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: finance, accounting, analytics, reporting or business/technology audit; or
- a BS/BA degree or higher in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics, or Business and 4+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: finance, accounting, analytics, reporting or business/technology audit
Other Desired Qualifications
- A BS/BA degree or higher in accounting, finance, or economics
- An active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- Big four public accounting experience
- Experience working with internal and external auditors and examiners
- Ability to interact with integrity and a high level of professionalism with all levels of team members and management
- Highly refined and professional verbal and written communications
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Practical experience with the COSO Framework and or Sarbanes Oxley (SoX)
- Practical experience with financial reports filed with the regulatory agencies (FRB, OCC, FDIC)
- Experience evaluating control deficiencies and related remediation activities
- Experience with relationship building and collaboration with stakeholders spanning multiple levels from staff level to senior and executive management
- Experience with large financial institutions
For immediate consideration, please submit a recent resume in MS Word format in addition to a detailed cover letter with salary expectation.