Sr. I&C Process Control Project Engineer
We are seeking to hire an experienced Sr. Instrumentation and Control Project Engineer. This position will support plants in multiple states and will require extensive travel.
- Develops strategies for process control, alarms, and information management with minimum oversight.
- Directs teams to analyze and define I&E / PCT requirements and to perform actual configuration and testing of control systems.
- Participate in all preliminary and process safety reviews with particular emphasis on PCT systems and equipment, interlocking, alarming, safety systems, etc.
- Directs designers, contractors, vendors, and technicians from conceptual design through construction and commissioning of I&E / PCT systems.
- Generate all hardware and software documentation required to procure, configure, test, install and maintain I&E / PCT systems.
- Interfaces with other engineering disciplines, designers, operations, and maintenance personnel as necessary to achieve project objectives.
- Responsible for cost and schedule within assigned area of responsibility.
This position is responsible for all I&E / PCT requirements for assigned projects. He/she provides necessary detail I&E / PCT engineering plus directs activities of others involved with realizing I&E / PCT strategies.
Key parameters of performance include schedule compliance, scope compliance, and cost control.
The incumbent is involved in problem solving decisions on a daily basis. Major areas are:
- Develops alternative solutions to problems, handles complex problems independently.
- Demonstrates strong technical expertise and ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Displays flexibility with assignments in different units/plants.
- Applies new technology.
- Properly applies standards and guidelines especially related to I&E / PCT documentation, configuration conventions, and testing.
- Identifies customer’s requirements and negotiation of the best cost/benefit solution.
- Enforces standards and policies/procedures and submitting deviations when required.
- Performs special studies to evaluate new equipment or engineering tools for the project or PCT department.
Fully qualified professional:
- Provides consistent application of technical knowledge.
- Leads projects of larger scope (or portions of projects) and is often called upon by peers for guidance.
- Coaches and teaches junior members of the department and provides input to performance evaluations.
- Makes independent decisions within defined areas of responsibility.
- Serves as a consultant to management within a specified area/discipline.
- Advances technical project proposals to senior management, following through to successful completion.
- Influences commitment of resources at divisional/departmental level.
Leadership and Integration/Relationship:
- Interacts regularly with senior technical peers and colleagues.
- Sets levels of technical performance for others to emulate.
- Develops network of external contacts appropriate to job.
- Performs assignments in more than one location.
- Formulates and manages own career path.
- Reports administratively to the Site Project Engineering PCT Lead or assigned designate.
- Reports functionally for large projects to the PCT lead engineer or to the respective Project Manager.
- Can be functionally responsible for other direct and/or contract engineers, designers, or programmers as a project or assignment related activity. Participation in special committees and study groups both at the plant level and corporate level may be assigned to the incumbent.
- Works closely with project engineers, process engineers, mechanical and piping engineers, PCT area engineers, and production personnel. Technical assistance is provided to the construction department and a presence in the field during construction and commissioning activities may be necessary.
- Bachelor degree from an accredited university (or equivalent) in Electrical or Chemical engineering plus 4 years of experience.
- Master's Degree with 2-4+ years of experience
- PhD with 1-3 years of experience
- Six and more years minimum experience in chemical, petro-chemical or industrial facilities in I&E / PCT design and engineering or equivalent experience
- Professional registration and/or certification as required.
- Excellent knowledge of PCT documentation, automation validation, quality assurance, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of process control strategies and systems safety systems and industrial control networks
- Excellent knowledge of process instrumentation
- Knowledge of low voltage electrical systems
- Strong computer hardware and software skills
- Excellent knowledge of relevant national and international standards in the area of process control, low voltage electrical, and instrumentation
- Knowledge of project control skills including project planning, scheduling, cost control, and contract development
- Experience in providing field support and participating in check out, commissioning, and start-up of process control installations
- Systematic approach to problem definition and solution development
- Ability to work as a member of cross-functional teams and to participate in multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills to deal with people at different levels of management, engineering and design, and with internal customers (e.g. engineering, maintenance, operations) and suppliers of PCT material and services
- Excellent verbal and written skills in order to communicate with and obtain cooperation from team members involved with engineering, design, check out, commissioning and start-up. Demonstrated ability to write comprehensive technical and scope documents required for project execution
- Willingness and ability to travel 40-50% of time when job assignment dictates
- Willingness and ability to work additional hours when job assignment dictates
- Willing to pursue advanced education (i.e. Master’s Degree) other certifications, and training when job assignment dictates.
- Experience with DeltaV and Allen Bradley Control Systems
Candidate Must Have:
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering
- 8 Years of IE &C experience in a chemical plant environment & Project Management experience
- DeltaV Controls Experience / I&E Design experience
- Professional Engineer in PA
- Electrical Experience / 480 v
For immediate consideration, please submit a recent resume in MS Word format in addition to a detailed cover letter with salary expectations.