Candidates for this position must have a BS, MS or PhD in chemical engineering and 10 years of experience as a project manager working on chemical process plant construction projects. This position will plan and direct the development, execution and completion of major capital investment projects. Candidates must have demonstrated capability to manage medium, large and selected XL sized investments.
This includes concept development, basic engineering, process optimization, technical and economic evaluation of alternatives, scope definition and control, estimating, cost control, scheduling, ensuring schedule compliance, detailed engineering and design, compliance with engineering, safety and environmental standards and procedures, procurement of goods and services, overall supervision of construction and preparation of information required to submit environmental permit applications.
- Maintain a close working relationship, with business (BU/SU) in order to define, plan, budget, forecast and execute required capital projects. Provide direct technical and economic input on Appropriation Request preparation.
- The Project Manager is directly responsible for control of the project scope, schedule and cost. The individual must have demonstrated experience managing projects in the $75MM to $120MM range from Conception through start up.
- The Project Manager provides supervision of a project team with members from engineering services, discipline personnel plant site, etc. assigned to his/her projects. A major project may have three or more supporting project engineers and in excess of 50 personnel assigned. The project staff typically consists of engineers and designers from the process/project, piping, mechanical, civil/structural/architectural, and process control systems.
- Many problems must be addressed and solved from the first step of project definition and value engineering through detailed design, procurement, construction and plant start-up.
- The incumbent must be open minded and flexible to address and solve the many problems that appear as the project progresses. These changes can affect cost, schedule and technical quality.
- Identify requirements and secure the necessary engineering discipline, engineering services, procurement and construction support to execute the capital plans or the assigned project.
- This includes utilization of alliance relationship, EPC or EPCm execution. This includes outlining, reviewing and approving contract terms and conditions.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with the many support groups within the Corporation in order to obtain timely input of their requirements into the capital projects and their assistance in project execution.
- These Departments or groups include Corporate and Site Environmental Control, Industrial Hygiene and Plant Safety, Site Mechanical and PCT Maintenance and Engineering, Plant Administration and Planning, Purchasing, Accounting and Law Departments as well as the many groups in Technology Services Americas and QA/QC and Regulatory Affairs Departments, if applicable.
- Participate as chairperson on Project Steering Committees, be a focal point between Project Team and Steering Committee on project issues and decisions.
- Maintain a liaison relationship with GPE and Technical Center colleagues during Technology Transfers and appropriate project execution phases.
- Provide management with updated analysis and projections on the status of capital projects focusing on management of change, schedule compliance, cost control and major project highlights.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering and 12+ years of experience / Masters degree Chemical Engineer and 5-8+ years of experience, PhD in Chemical engineering & 3-6+ years) of combined engineering and project engineering/management job exposure.
- A BS degree, preferable in Chemical Engineering, is a minimum for understanding and evaluating technical input for engineering concepts, drawings and strategies, for supervision of discipline engineering and construction groups, and for interpretation and prioritization of diverse and complex engineering activities, in order to obtain an optimal design for plant operability and cost effectiveness.
- A broad and sound understanding of principles and design of the project discipline activities is a must for obtaining a complete design concept.
- This position requires significant experience directly related to the principles and procedures (both in-house and outsourcing methods) of process/project engineering and experience in controlling and integrating the activities associated with design/construction projects.
- An understanding of general business principles and procedures is beneficial in the handling of cost-related aspects of project management.
- Interaction with, and evaluation of proposals from various levels of people from different groups (both within and outside the company), is frequent and requires good communicative skills and the ability to
- Influence and direct others toward common objectives.
- Experience working on or managing with EPC/EPCm execution.
- Ability to manage project locally, regionally and globally. International Project experience is desired.
- Good communication skills and computer literacy are mandatory.
- Successful completion of a management training course is desirable.
- German language is highly beneficial
Candidate Must Have:
- BS, MS or PhD in Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Plant Capex projects in the 75 to 120mm range
- Conception to completions project management skills.
The position offers a very competitive base salary, bonus, full benefits and relocation assistance.
For immediate consideration, please submit a recent resume in MS Word format in addition to a detailed cover letter along with salary expectations.