To perform accurately and in a timely manner laboratory tests demonstrating critical judgment and
following policies and procedures as appropriate. Presentation and customer courtesy are required
components of the process. Will supervise staff (4).
- Bachelor's Degree required in any of these areas; Hematology, Immunohematology, Serology, and Microbiology or proof of eligibility and current.
- Prefer a college degree in Medical Technology*
- Preferred minimum three years’ experience in a hospital laboratory setting or private lab or any lab. Must have molecular instrument validating and supervisor experience
- Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: ASCP or AAB or AMT national certification (must have at least one)
- MUST have State of Florida Supervisor license
- Must have molecular instrument validating and supervisory experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Patient contact and handling of biohazardous specimens
Supervised by: Director or Manager level
Supervises (Headcount): 4
Supervises (Job titles): Technicians Technologist Phlebotomists
Interrelations/Contacts: Works with all departments on accounting and/or human resource issues.
- Performs routine duties in all departments in an efficient and accurate manner including quality control and maintenance. Demonstrates critical thinking in the performance of duties and the ability to problem solve technical as well as communication issues between departments. Has no counseling’s for performance or quality issues.
- Participates in education of new employees and changes for old employees by performing written in-services. Improves own professional abilities through required CEU’s and additional training as necessary to improve licensure.
- Demonstrates communication skills with other departments and clinicians as lab ambassador by avoiding responses that might initiate controversy and deliberately selecting responses that will.
- Flexible in scheduling of shifts and days off. Requesting PTO in a timely manner and respecting the limitations of department staffing. Does not automatically expect special exceptions due to personal situations such as dependents and/or personal lifestyle.
- Assists in avoiding unnecessary overtime by alerting supervisor to any errors on schedule.
- Actively participates in resulting reference lab work and reviews and follows up on outstanding without being assigned a specific task. Carefully reviews and interprets reference lab results before entering in the computer.
- Organizes work in most efficient manner to reduce pre and post analytic delays and can multitask several patients and several different tests at same time. Demonstrates ability to stay calm under pressure and is not overwhelmed by routine fluctuations in workload.
- Demonstrates ability to trouble shoot instruments by using manuals and hotline appropriately.
- Resolves problems as far as possible before asking assistance. Demonstrates critical thinking in resolving communication/operations problems within and outside the department.
- Performs proficiency testing and ensures that repeat analysis is completed in a timely manner.
- Takes responsibility for result on assigned analytes. Initiates performance of surveys as needed.
- Assists others when needed.
- Assists in ordering of supplies by alerting supervisor when supplies are low and checking in supplies when received from shipping. Places orders as assigned or needed.
- Takes initiative to read all posted memos, minutes of meetings, policies, procedures, job description and notices and holds self-accountable for content within.
- Organizes projects for phlebotomists during slow down times and uses opportunity to accomplish nontraditional laboratory work such as filing records, organizing storeroom, and reviewing instrument operational manuals.
- Participates in community sponsored events of hospital and presents a positive image to the community of the hospital. Supports change and growth of the institution.
- Keeps work area clean and takes responsibility for presence of all public areas in laboratory and hospital. Correcting where possible and reporting as necessary broken or dirty areas.
- Keeps uniform and appearance neat and clean. Follows proper hygiene. Displays badge and follows time clock policies as well as parks in designated area.
- Demonstrates ability to distinguish priorities by medical necessity in organization of work.
- Ensures that timed work is performed within the allotted time frame. Treats irreplaceable samples in appropriate fashion.
- Follows good technique in reagent, control, sample preparation and avoids transcription errors by using additional precautions where needed.
- Demonstrates thorough computer skills of CPSI and increases skill with time learning more routines and options in the system.
- Commits to outstanding guest relations and customer service; provides excellent customer service to meet the expectations of patients, visitors, and fellow associates; maintains courteous and professional conduct.
- Demonstrates teamwork; supports, assists, and praises fellow associates whenever possible; feels a sense of ownership and takes pride in the Hospital; looks beyond assigned tasks to achieve goals.