Richmond, VA Site Leader
We are seeking to hire a new Spruance Site Leader. The Spruance Site Leader has the overall responsibility and accountability for site personnel, legal compliancy of assets, community relations, and achievement of business and corporate goals. The role delivers site-based business and administrative leadership to an empowered, work process-driven, reliable plant organization.
This facility is the largest company manufacturing site in the world. At the this site, there are units producing three different products. Each of the three units has a Plant Manager and staff who all report up through the Site Leader.
Environmental, Health, Safety (EHS) Responsibilities:
- Accountable for operating within the permit limits; escalates deviations appropriately.
- Demonstrates personal EHS leadership in the field and in long-term strategy planning with the business.
- Accountable for full compliance with all regulatory requirements and company requirements
- Accountable for EHS performance of the site. “Driving to Zero” injuries must be the EHS target for each unit/area.
- Site Leader should take a strong lead in both words and action to support EHS performance including field visibility to lead by example and drive behaviors.
- Possesses a strong sense of ownership and accountability for the success of the site.
- Leads, represents, and partners with local government and community organizations.
- Has local, legal ownership of the Mechanical Integrity and Quality Assurance (MIQA) process results.
- Acts as the responsible official for local, state, and federal environmental signings. This includes final legal accountability for all regulatory permits/licenses and remediation requirements.
- Landlord for emergency, community response and public relations.
- Accountable for security of site.
- Ensures fair, appropriate, and consistent behavior expectations and response administered across the site.
- Sponsors Health & Safety, Process Safety Management (PSM) and Environmental committees
- Ensures site people succession planning meets expertise requirements.
- Network sponsor for one or more diversity networks.
- Provides mentors for learning events and sponsor sessions where appropriate.
- Develops and sponsors future leaders.
- Works with local school systems and technical colleges to ensure education is adequate to meet current and future hiring needs.
- Develops constructive relationships with local unions and contractors.
- Promotes and expands the networks of succession candidates across businesses, regions, and the company globally.
- Advocates on behalf and is accessible to employees and stakeholders of the business.
- Promotes continuous improvement in employee engagement and satisfaction, through the utilization and monitoring of employee feedback.
- Spokesperson and representative for corporate strategy and initiatives.
- Challenges and gives feedback to the corporation.
- Mentors Senior and Global Leader Potentials on site. Owns, fosters and develops the high potential and outperformer pipeline on the site. Engages and develops high potentials in site projects.
- Works closely with works councils and/or unions.
- Ensures company's pay for performance culture is applied.
- Actively drives Diversity & Inclusion performance.
Business Owner Mindset/Financial Acumen:
- Represents the site in the business strategy development and goal setting process.
Example: operational costs, asset utilization, operational reliability, customer centricity.
- Translates and communicates the business strategy and objectives to the site personnel. Provides leadership, coaching and expectations for the personnel participating in the site goal and budget setting processes. Challenges teams and individuals to set, monitor and achieve goals aligned to the business and site strategies and goals.
- Owns provision of site services that aligned to the corporate spending plan, with a long-term low-cost mindset.
- Inspires the organization to apply the principles of continuous improvement, value creation, and financial acumen skills to accelerate profitability and low-cost service of the site.
- Drives implementation of productivity and technology implementation plans.
- Understands the products and hosts customers and end users at the site level.
- Challenges business and functions to maintain consistency with overall company and site strategies.
- Conducts annual and long-term capital planning.
- Looks for opportunities to collaborate and provide business options.
- Prioritizes, says “no” when needed.
- Monitors business cost at local level, collaborating to identify and deliver low cost services in line with business demand (ex: overtime).
- Ensures site infrastructure strategically maintained. Makes certain condition, reliability, and capability is adequate for current businesses and rebalanced for changes in tenants.
- Manages tenants and utility providers. This includes legal agreements, services, and cost
- Develops and owns a site-specific strategy/Business Technology Improvement Plan (BTIP) plan with a clear 3 to 5-year vision in alignment with geographic, functional, and business strategies, and understandable to employees
- Serves as the face of the company to the community.
- Steward of philanthropic funds and activities.
- Provides facilitative leadership within the Community Advisory panel.
- Represents company at local, state, and community organizational levels.
- Networks and advocates with other local, industry, and business associations.
- Actively collaborates with local, regional and if appropriate national or international governmental bodies in shaping future regulations.
- Maintains housekeeping and exterior image to community.
- Legal authority for land purchases and transactions.
- Hosts events for both internal and external stakeholders and visitors.
On boarding – Qualification or Certification:
- Fulfill and complete the Site Leader Orientation/Certification established by the Region/Corporation and the New Leader Review established by the business.
- 15+ years of Manufacturing Experience
- Proven Leadership in People, EH&S, Technology, Reliability and Operations
- Proven leadership and work assignments across multiple regions and sites
- Ability to set priorities and provide direction to influence management and broader organization
- Demonstrated ability to create a respectful work environment where everyone can contribute to their full potential
- (Recommended) Supply Chain experience or equivalent training
- (Recommended) Six Sigma Certification
Skills: Engineering, Manufacturing, EH&S, Supply Chain experience, Six Sigma Certification, People Leadership, Financial Acumen