The Assistant Category Manager plays an important role within our Product Development team helping bring products to life. This position assists the Category Manager and Director in both launching new products, as well as managing the full life cycle of the assortment. The assistant category manager will work cross-functionally with marketing, sales, planning and engineering to ensure that all commercialization and management of product goes smoothly. This includes sample management, maintaining data integrity, creating reports, data analysis and contributing to the creative process through brainstorms and category research.
- Supports the Category Manager with developing a line plan for their respective categories through competitive and customer research, as well as sales analysis support.
- Manages launch product setup processes in our systems. This includes style creation, product features, photography requests, and sample approval.
- Helps to coordinate all aspects of a launch plan to ensure that deadlines are met across departments.
- Ensures on-time delivery of the product by monitoring production timelines with factories.
- Communicates new designs to our overseas merchandisers and follows up on sample lead times, necessary revisions, ensuring we are hitting target costs and reviewing samples when they arrive.
- Closely collaborates with marketing team on effectively bringing new product to market and maximize marketing opportunities with existing product for their categories.
- Works closely with our engineering and operations teams to ensure our product is approved to be decorated and shipped.
- Supports the category manager with financial analysis to explain business performance, as well as identifying target selling prices based on margin expectations. Also analyzes current demand and inventory to ensure we can meet current demand.
- Responsible for assortment planning to help identify areas of opportunity.
- Communicates launch messaging and product training to groups outside of our department, such as sales, marketing and our leadership team.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Must be passionate about product and the creative process. Ability and courage to think outside the box.
- Must have strong analytical skill set and ability to effectively analyze sales data
- Must have exceptional organizational skills
- Due to the international working environment, quick response time is imperative.
- Ability to contribute to the creative process with an interest in latest trends in fashion and technology.
- Collaborative team player
- Self-directed, with ability to work independently.
- Computer literate in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Exceptional written, oral and presentation skills
- Exhibit high levels of flexibility and professionalism in extremely fast-paced environment
- Ability to influence and work through cross-functional teams without formal authority.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business, merchandising, or related field required.
- This is an entry level position. One to three years experience in product development, merchandising, planning or other related field is preferred, but not required.
Domestic travel required. Approximately 5%