You will like working for us as we have amazing people and a highly collaborative culture. Global success hasn’t changed our tight-knit feel – we’ve simply grown into a larger, more diverse family. We have thousands of jobs around the globe and encourage all of our associates to chase their dreams without having to find them in another company – it truly is a special place.
While reporting to the Production Superintendent, The Shift Supervisor is accountable for safety, quality, productivity, cost performance, and employee management for all assigned shifts. The Shift Supervisor leads, manages, and oversees a shift operation in a manner that enhances the plant’s safety, quality, and productivity. This position is responsible for creating and sustaining an engaged environment of team work and collaboration, where employees work together to safely produce quality paper products that meet or exceed our customers’ requirements while maximizing productivity in accordance with Sonoco Product policies. This position will require the candidate to lead a unionized workforce.
- Leads a production shift team to achieve safety, quality, and productivity performance goals.
- Demonstrates sound decision making and skill prioritization.
- Effectively manages / motivates union employees in a team environment.
- Possesses strong coaching / teambuilding skills.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of the plant organization.
- Maintains production priorities.
- Coordinates production scheduling to meet customer demands, manages overtime, and reduces costs as required.
- Directs shift personnel in continuous improvement initiatives and works to meet performance metrics.
- Provides direction, training and development of hourly employees on assigned shift as well as counseling or corrective measures as needed.
- Provides oversight and management to front line production personnel: sets daily work expectations for manufacturing product as scheduled.
- Promotes the use of safe work practices by coaching and monitoring employee activities in the plant.
- Ensures appropriate first level troubleshooting steps are taken based on process feedback or evaluation of available data. Notifies the Production Superintendent as required or when direction or guidance is needed.
- Holds employees accountable for adherence to established procedures and performance metrics.
- Actively participates in all mill safety activities including leading hourly safety meetings, Risk Reduction Resolution Analysis (R3s), safety audits, and safety observations.
- Performs daily safety discussions with hourly employees.
- Investigates all close calls (or injuries) and develops corrective action plans.
- Has the capacity to effectively understand the paper making process and demonstrates ability to troubleshoot the process.
- Observes and instructs crew members as needed to ensure that the papermaking process is safe and efficient.
- Reviews customer complaints with team members and takes corrective actions to eliminate reoccurrence.
- Schedules the staffing of hourly employees across all shifts.
- Reviews paper machine operations routinely with Production Superintendent and takes corrective action as necessary to minimize lost time and improve quality and productivity.
- Assists in developing operators and personnel through one-on-one coaching and conflict resolution with assistance from the Production Superintendent.
- Initiates work orders and follows up on safety work orders for scheduled maintenance work.
- Administers daily crew reports including production reports, hourly time cards, attendance recording, vacation time allocation, and discipline recording.
- Assists in the training and hiring of new employees.
- Develops and supports training procedures for manufacturing employees.
- Has capacity to gain expert level proficiency with Outlook, Intranet, TDS, Optivision, DCS systems and other computer related tools.
- Able to communicate in a clear, concise manner with all levels of the organization including defining and communicating expectations for assigned crews.
- Actively participates in the discipline process including documentation of all discussions and incidents that occur during their shift.
- Responsible for quality standards on their shift. Makes adjustments as necessary to produce product within specifications as required.
- Maintains and enforces all housekeeping and safety regulations.
- Maintains desirable level of employee morale and performance and ensures uniform application of union contract, policies, and programs among hourly staff.
- Informs and consults with Production Superintendent in advance of any action on significant matters.
- Reviews performance with team members during daily crew huddles.
- Performs other similar and related duties as assigned.
- Resolves personnel issues at the first level whenever possible.
- Able to work on a rotating shift schedule in a four-shift operation.