Facilitates the safe and efficient performance of surgical procedures. The primary purpose of the Surgical Tech position is to assist the surgeon and RN’s in operative procedures.
Reports to the Manager of Surgical Services
- Prepares surgical operating suite with drapes, solutions, instruments, equipment and supplies. Ensures good working order of equipment and instruments.
- Assists with preparing, transporting, positioning and draping patients.
- Passes instruments to physician during surgery.
- Continually accounts for number and location of instruments and supplies during surgery.
- Receives and processes specimens for delivery to the laboratory.
- Performs pre-operative procedures such as selection and placement of appropriate surgical instruments, supplies and equipment; to scrub and provide instruments, sutures, and other sterile supplies during surgical procedures while anticipating the needs of the surgeon.
- Performs variable duties related to the Surgery unit in accordance with established Hospital Policies and Procedures.
The Surgical Tech has the additional responsibility of reporting, incidents, patient and/or employee issues, work related accidents and any unusual events to the Registered Nurses and who are responsible for the delivery of patient care.
Every effort has been made to make this job description as complete as possible. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties the incumbent will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position. This position description does not restrict the right of management to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities with and without notice.