*Temp to Hire Contract position available
You will be responsible for assisting with visual inspections of streetlight poles, painting of transformers, graffiti removal, and equipment beautification throughout all IV service areas. It is your responsibility to perform visual inspections of company power distribution equipment by utilizing the district vehicle to locate graffiti. Keep a record of the location number as well as any other relevant information.
: Under general supervision, performs a variety of custodial, gardening, mechanical and maintenance duties. Performs other duties as assigned.
The incumbent in this classification performs duties relative to an assigned department, maintenance duties may vary according to area of assignment and will be reassigned as required, to assist other personnel or perform other duties in accordance with workload requirements.
This classification is distinguished from the Janitor position, in that duties performed require a higher degree of physical effort and maintenance duties may vary according to area of assignment.
Employees in this classification will be reassigned, as required, to assist other personnel in accordance with workload requirements.
This position, at times, requires the management of hazardous materials or waste and thus requires mandatory training in hazardous waste operations, hazardous materials spill response, and/or hazardous materials communication.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The examples of essential functions listed below are representative but not necessarily exhaustive or descriptive and incumbent may be assigned other related functions not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment for the position.
MARGINAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs a variety of manual labor, maintenance, gardening, custodial and mechanical duties including emptying trash receptacles, polishing, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping office spaces and/or plant floors; cleans in and around large operating equipment; cleans chemical spills and disposes appropriately.
- Loads, rubbish, debris, tree limbs, shrubbery cutting, waste and materials onto wheel barrow and/or trucks and unloads or dumps at disposal sites.
- Makes minor repairs on tools, equipment or facilities, as directed.
- Operates vehicle to pick up parts, ferry equipment, materials or other vehicles; may operate light to heavy mechanical equipment and vehicles to load or unload materials or deliver materials to various offices and yards.
- Cleans restrooms and surrounding area; maintains soap, towel and paper dispensers full.
- Mows grass around district property and facilities; keeps district areas clean; maintains equipment used for landscaping, sprinkler systems and controls clean and in good working condition.
- Picks up trash and debris along surrounding yard; maintains work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Replaces lights and starters or replaces bulbs for various light fixtures.
- Operates pressure washer and chemical pumps to clean and prepare equipment for shop repairs or return to service.
- Assists various trades personnel by performing non-complex or routine functions, including assists with cleaning parts, lifting parts into place, and other activities related to area of assignment.
- Assists warehouse, construction, maintenance or mechanical personnel as required.
- Washes vehicles and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High school Diploma
- One year of general building, custodial and equipment maintenance experience.
- A valid driver license issued by the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles is required.
- A valid California Class “A” driver license may be required, as determined by supervision, for specified employees in this classification.
- Cleaning and preservation of floors, wall fixtures and furniture; steam cleaning and chemical pumps; cleaning materials, disinfectants, and equipment used in custodial work.
- Gardening, including lawn and shrubbery care; chemicals, equipment and tools used in gardening duties.
- Hand and power tools, materials and equipment used in shops, building, or equipment maintenance; materials and equipment used in shop, power tool repair, or equipment maintenance.
- Basic repair of electrical, pneumatic and mechanical power tools; prevention of toxic mixture of lubricants in compliance with environmental protection agency regulations.
- Forklift and other lifting devices procedures; and safe work practices and procedures.
Tools and Equipment Used
- Perform heavy physical labor; sweep, vacuum, polish, mop office spaces and plant floors; use hand and power tools, follow oral and written instructions; read, write and comprehend instructions.
- Correspondence, and memoranda; maintain records or logs; apply, understand and carry out written or oral instructions; deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Communicate information on a one-to-one situation to supervisors, and other District employees.
- Apply addition and subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Apply, understand and carry out written or oral instructions; deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations; understand safety rules and regulations and work safely.
- Use hand and power tools, follow oral and written instructions; maintain noncomplex records or logs.
- Be prompt and regular in attendance; and work courteously and cooperatively with District employees.
- General office equipment, computer, telephone, two-way radio, calculator, copier, fax machine, PPE, hard hat, gloves, safety glasses, safety shoes.
- Forklift, pumps, steam cleaner, wheel barrow, shovel, push broom, paint brush, hammer, hand tools, wrenches, socket sets, mops, buckets, squeegee, face mask.
- Ladder, hydraulic lift, face shield, ear protection, safety glasses, hard hat, scoop shovel, power tools, pry bar, open-end wrenches, mechanical manuals, inventory list, hoe, drill motor, generators, light kits, flagging/hazardous road signs and markers, hot stick equipment, solvent, heavy equipment, trailer, and vehicle.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather condition including direct sunlight; works near moving mechanical parts and vehicles; exposed to fumes and airborne particles.
- The employee is occasionally expose to vibration through use of power tools or driving vehicle over rough and uneven terrain; exposed to toxic, combustible and caustic chemicals; exposed to risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Degree of Physical Effort - 7
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb and must maintain balance during these activities; hear and listen directions in performance of their duties.
- Use hands to finger, grasp, grab, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach forward, downward and upward with hands and arms; the employee is occasionally required to sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to talk on a one-to-one basis, over the telephone and two-way radio.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 70 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with assistance from others.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
An employee employed in this category will be exposed to physical demands requiring strength, coordination and dexterity from a few times a day to many times a day.