- This position requires demonstrated technical proficiency in implementing automation solutions with PLC, HMI, SCADA, and DCS/Delta V platforms.
- The Mid- or Senior Controls Engineer will interact directly with the customer and lead a team of Wunderlich-Malec engineers in identifying requirements, developing specifications, and implementing/testing/commissioning/qualifying automation solutions.
- This position is a leadership role within the business unit and requires strong problem-solving ability, well-balanced people skills, an aptitude for business efficiency, and an interest in creating partnerships.
- The Mid- or Senior Controls Engineer demonstrates success by securing repeat work with both new and existing customers.
- This position requires the ability to deliver innovative automation solutions and design standards either self-directed or as a leader of a team.
- The candidate must have the ability to conceptualize, detail, and implement control systems for industrial processes and machinery that meet our customer’s requirements.
- This involves the development of a control system architecture, selecting the components to be used, detailing schematic diagrams and system documentation, programming controllers (PLC, DCS/Delta V), programming the process visualization (HMI/SCADA), developing databases for archiving/displaying historical system data and implementing/commissioning the control system at the client’s facility.
Knowledge of controller programming languages such as Ladder, Sequential Function Chart, Structured Text, and others to achieve the desired results is required.
- Also having knowledge of standard programming languages such as VBA, .NET, and SQL and Python for the development of HMI/SCADA systems is preferred.
- For larger systems, experience with industrial networking used to connect control system components and instrumentation is preferred.
- The Controls Engineer would design, detail, and implement a variety of fiber, wired and wireless systems using industrial protocols (Ethernet/IP, Profinet, Modbus, etc.).
- This position oftentimes requires the following project management responsibilities: developing project execution plans, work breakdown structures and associated budgets, task prioritization and scheduling, task ordering, time tracking and reporting, financial tracking and reporting, early problem identification, conflict management/resolution, leading and supporting a team, and attending project status meetings.
- Also includes overseeing daily operations and activities of a project(s) up to $1M.
- This position is often responsible for ensuring the overall profitability of the project.
- The ideal candidate must have a diverse engineering skillset with the ability to work independently.
- Will act as technical lead on projects and guide lower-level engineers and technicians. Could also act as Project Manager on smaller projects.
- Education – Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical/Control Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Computer Science or equal experience.
- Greater than 5 years with capabilities in below areas is preferred:
- In-depth understanding of Emerson DeltaV platform.
- Experience in PLC-5 to ControlLogix conversions.
- In-depth understanding of PLC hardware/software platforms such as Rockwell Automation, Siemens, and Modicon.
- In-depth understanding of HMI/SCADA hardware/software platforms such as Servers, VM’s, Networks, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk and Plant Pax, Aveva System Platform and Edge, Inductive Automation Ignition, GE iFIX, Siemens Winn CC, and TI Portal.
- Understanding of DCS hardware/software platforms such as Emerson DeltaV or similar.
- Understanding of Batch/Recipes, OEE, MES, and ERP systems.
- Experience in industries such as Life Sciences, Building Automation, Food and Beverage, and Water Treatment.
- Experience in the design of electrical schematics, and control panels including power distribution under 480VAC, and associated NEC references desired.
- Experience with AutoCAD is also desired.
- Experience leading a team of engineers/technicians to provide control system solutions.
- Experience mentoring less experienced engineers.
- Professional references, preferably one from each of the following: a subordinate, a peer, and a manager.
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF POSITION:
- Seeing, color perception, hearing, clear speech, dexterity in hands, driving, lifting, ability to mount/dismount equipment, pushing and pulling.
- Standard office environment, on-site office environment, diverse industrial environments, frequent use of a personal computer, facsimile/copy machines, and phones.
About our Company: As a 100% Employee-Owned Company our people are passionate about solving your unique engineering challenges, and with the support of industry experts behind them, they can successfully execute projects of any size while meeting your requirements of scope, schedule, and budget.
We have has been providing customers with engineering, system integration and fabrication solutions for more than 40 years. With offices throughout the US and over 500 professionals on our staff, we are one of the largest and most well-established engineering companies in the United States, and we've successfully finished numerous projects for our US clients in many parts of the world. We're confident that our qualified staff has the knowledge, experience, and talent to create and deliver the solutions you need for your facility process and operation needs.
We're ranked on Inc. 5000's Fastest-Growing Private Companies list and is a GSA Schedule holder with the Federal Government for professional engineering services and manufacturing.