The Quality Engineer will report directly to the R&D and Quality Manager and will be responsible for ensuring the customer's requirements are met through all manufacturing processes to obtain the desired product characteristics.
- The incumbent will actively participate as a valued member of the Q&PC Integrated Support Team (IST) to provide process and quality control guidance and technical support for the site’s three Integrated Process Teams. This role is accountable to ensure that key material/product characteristics are identified and verified at the completion of each manufacturing process step. This position entails active work in the areas of process control, the detection of defects and enhancement in quality control to verify and validate product acceptance.
- The position focuses on overall Quality Management System to ensure quality standards are implemented and maintained throughout the Corhart facility in accordance with SEFPRO quality policies, applicable regulatory requirements, ISO requirements, and customer specifications/expectations. In addition to assisting the R&D and Quality Manager in the deployment and maturation of the WCM Quality & Process Control Pillar, the Quality Engineer serves as the site’s Focused Improvement champion and final authority with respect to material/product quality.
- Behaviorally, the incumbent must be a high-energy, hands-on individual with strength of convictions -- a self-confident leader who, in part due to his/her personal presence, style, and demeanor, effectively sells ideas and solutions to others.
Moreover, this person must have unquestioned integrity. This position has latitude for non-reviewed actions and the exercise of independent judgment and discretion within established policies and procedures and is expected to challenge the 'norm' and establish new standards/practices where necessary to ensure quality.
Process & Quality Control - 50%
- Directly supervise the activities of the IPT Quality Engineers, Lab Technicians, and Final Inspectors
- Plans and directs activities concerned with development, application, and maintenance of quality standards for processes, materials, and products.
- Directs IPT Quality Engineers and oversees the establishment & implementation of product parameters as well as effective control methods to verify & validate material/product acceptance.
- Develops and initiates standards and methods for inspection, testing, and evaluation. Oversees calibration, control and maintenance of testing/lab equipment.
- Devises sampling procedures and designs and develops forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, testing measurement and analytical equipment and facilities.
- Coordinate quality planning activities, develops and documents quality plans, including verification/qualification procedures of new and modified material and products.
- Lead focus teams and special projects to resolve systemic rejects including determination of root cause and correction in resolution of key quality issues affecting delivery/performance/cost.
- Responsible for plant-level “Q” as part of the daily control system (DCS). Develops, tracks, and monitors Quality key performance indicators, including Q-losses.
- Oversees the evaluation of rejects, product defects, and decisions regarding the status based on inspection criteria and customer specifications. Compiles, categorizes and documents plant-wide quality rejects & defect data.
- Automate the process of batch design for LCD blocks and ensure the quality level for this operation.
Quality Management System - 20%
- Responsible for site wide ISO9000 compliance and certification
- Directs & oversees the planning, implementation, and maintenance of the facility’s Quality System in keeping with the WCM PQC Pillar Steps & requirements.
- Directs and oversees Document Control and review/approval of controlled documents.
- Directs and oversees Supplier Quality Management and performance of supplier audits as appropriate.
- Responsible for the implementation of Quality Risk Management in relevant aspects of the QMS Internal audit program and performance of internal audits
WCM - 20%
- Contributing member of the WCM Pillar for Quality and Process Control (QPC)
- Provides leadership & training to IST/IPTs utilizing WCM Focused Improvement toolbox for continuous improvement and the reduction of Q- losses.
- Actively participates and leads CI/WCM/6 Sigma projects and events throughout site.
Environmental, Health & Safety - 10%
- Behavioural role model for all EHS standards; 5S & workplace organization practices; plant rules and safety regulations; and corporate Values and Attitudes.
- Partner with leaders to continuously improve EHS culture, awareness, and accountability systems by leading & participating in EHS inspections, self-assessments, and audits.
- Promotes, develops and mentors behavioural EHS initiatives to drive an autonomous EHS culture and objectively demonstrates commitment through SMAT / EMAT assessments.
ENTITY SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS
- Entity: Quality & Process Control Integrated Support Team (IST)
- Essential Function: Directly supervises IPT Quality Engineers/Technicians, Document Control Clerk, Final Inspectors, and Assemblers
- Bachelor’s degree is required in an Engineering or Technical/Science discipline.
- Advanced degree in Quality or Ceramic Engineering, preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of practical Quality department experience within a manufacturing environment
- Experience in change management, as well as leading audits & implementing quality management systems.
- Process expertise and leading quality transformations - preferred
- Quality Concepts and tools such as sampling theory, statistical analysis, quality cost reporting, DOE, Lean, DMAIC, SPC, FMEA, Control Plans - Preferred
- Strong knowledge of ISO 9001 requirements and relevant industry standard practices - Required.
- Experience participating in audits and implementing/maintaining quality management systems - Required.
- Comprehensive understanding of Lean / World Class principles and practices - Required.
- Demonstrated expertise in instrumental analysis, analytical interpretation, methodology and statistical analysis - Required.
- Computer proficiency, including a strong command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) - Required
- Strong project management skills with emphasis on the design & development phases of product life-cycle - Preferred
- Working knowledge and experience with GD&T - Preferred
- Dedicated, self-starter with a high degree of motivation, able to make independent decisions - Required.
- Able to lead teams, include input from all team member and mold divergent opinions into one common direction - Required.
- Must use effective coaching techniques to develop a culture of employee engagement - Required.
Communicating and Influencing Skills
- Ability to present complex ideas simply and clearly to all organizational levels - Required.
- Demonstrable personal attributes to effectively communicate and influence all levels of organization - Required.
- Capable of challenging the 'norm' and establishing new standards/practices with majority “buy-in” - Preferred.
- The Quality Supervisor will lead quality and improvement activities using WCM Focused Improvement Tools and Kaizen methodologies. These activities, by their nature, explore areas that are often not understood by participants and require creativity and the ability to select effective tools/techniques to match the need and complete the project - Required.
Licenses and Certifications
- ASQ-CQE certification - Preferred
- Certified Green Belt or Black Belt and/or other advanced technical problem solving - Preferred.
- Minimal travel for corporate sponsored meetings and trainings/seminars, and customer visits
- Valid Driver's License - Required