Reporting to the Senior Manager of Logistics Procurement, the Associate Category Manager of Logistics will lead several categories driving excellence in alignment with the Logistics Organization’s goals and strategies, the Supply Management plan, Business Unit needs, and Sonoco’s overall mission.
The leader will be responsible for developing and executing the centralized logistics strategic procurement strategy for our Integrated and diversified businesses in the areas of 3PL warehouses, company owned trailers, and the dedicated fleet.
The ideal candidate will leverage their extensive knowledge of the logistics industry to execute sourcing processes including contracts, negotiations, financial analysis, RFP Creation, and supplier research. The incumbent will work closely with the logistics operations team and logistics excellence and strategy team in execution of the plans and strategies.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop, implement, and execute a strategic logistics procurement strategy in support of logistics operations, supply management goals, and business unit plans.
- Work cross functionally and across business units to leverage current and future business requirement, market intelligence, and historical spend data to develop a logistics category strategy that simplifies the supply base, provides value, and continually reduces cost.
- Lead and report on large scale projects that include RFP’s, mini-bids, warehouse sourcing events, dedicated RFP’s, and trailer replacement bids.
- Develop the key metrics, KPI’s, and performance management based on sound data analytics to provide valuable insights and root cause analysis of cost drivers.
- Negotiation of supplier terms and conditions and contract administration
- Continuously find innovative approaches to cost savings and value drivers.
- Lead, develop, and provide direction to the Business Units as well as be a leader in the logistics organization.
- Drive continuous improvement using sound data analytics and change management.
- Own the commercial relationship with key logistics suppliers and leverage those relationships to drive excellence across the organization.
- The total network in scope is comprised of greater than 265 manufacturing locations and greater than 14,000 lanes along the following verticals:
- Domestic road and rail ~ $250M
- Less than Truckload - $15M
- Dedicated fleet services ~ $50M
- 3pl warehouses ~ $12.5M
- Company owned trailers ~ $10M
- Parcel ~ $3.5M
This position is located at our Corporate Headquarters in beautiful Hartsville, SC and close to exciting destinations (Myrtle Beach, SC Charleston, SC, Columbia, SC and Charlotte, NC).
We’d love to hear from you if:
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, and communication skills are essential.
- Deep subject matter expertise in the of the logistics industry with knowledge of cost factors relating to the industry.
- Strategic sourcing and negotiating skills with logistics organizations.
- Excellent analytical, project management, and change management skills.
- Knowledge of logistics systems with a preference towards OTM and CASS.
- Above average technological skills with strong excel skills.
- Experience with large complex organizations
- Entrepreneurial spirit with excellent problem solving and analytical abilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a business or finance related discipline
- 10 years of relevant experience