The Director is responsible for overseeing the Corporate Hospital Coding Department, including operations, coding, quality, education, and informatics. The Director is responsible for oversite of hospital coding processes and services to respond to evolving health care changes such as payment modeling and external reporting information needs. This position is responsible for positioning the Coding operation for financial and operational sustainability, and proactively identifying and responding to internal and industry trends in addition to overseeing the development and communication of established performance targets, key performance indicators, and other departmental performance goals. The Director is responsible for assisting with attraction, retention and growth of coding staff.
This individual reports to the Vice President of Revenue Cycle and is responsible for directing the next level of Coding Operations management (Managers). The individual is responsible for all coding activities at all hospital sites. The position requires interaction and collaboration with leadership, clinical documentation specialist, clinical areas, and other revenue cycle functional departments including Patient Access, Billing, and Revenue Integrity.
Benefits start day one! We offer Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance plan, and Paid time off. We offer a Retirement Savings Plan with Fidelity Investments helps you save by matching employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of your pay per pay period. We also offers Tuition Reimbursement and The Student Loan Repayment Program.
- Extensive background in hospital coding preferred
- Coding leadership experience in large, multi-hospital system
- Keen understanding of acute inpatient coding
- Background in Quality preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively with different service lines
- Ability to work with individuals of all levels
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management; Master’s degree highly preferred
- Member of American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) with current Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) credentials preferred
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Ten years of Health Information Management experience and five years of coding experience at a management level position.
- Requires leadership and mentoring skills necessary to provide support to department and promote employee development.
- Requires proven analytical ability and organizational skills necessary to organize/assess information and evaluate recommendations based on data analysis.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to support interaction and participation in meetings with physicians, payor representatives, and representatives of other departments within the organization.
- Familiarity or experience with Vizient coding scoring and ranking is preferred
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results.
- Provides strategic guidance and direction for system-wide coding services; create and manage a strong coding culture
- Ensures the recruitment, training, and retention of motivated competent coding managers, coding specialists, and coding auditors; establishes goals and standards for performance appraisals.
- Analyzes and establishes strategic plans to ensure the coding services are progressive and effective; work with other hospital and system service departments to promote consistency in processes; stay up-to-date on all regulatory coding requirements; effectively coordinate work flow across multiple facilities to ensure optimal quality of coded data and timely reimbursement.
- Provides leadership to coding management team regarding monthly trending analysis of coding performance including weekly and monthly A/R reports.
- Provides leadership to coding management team regarding abstracting, coding quality and data requests including weekly and monthly reports.
- Oversees management of appropriate personnel, providing recommendations for hiring, promotion, salary adjustment and personnel action where appropriate.
- Develops strategy, specific goals, objectives, budgets, and performance standards for areas of responsibly in the Coding Operations.
- Provides leadership and support to team members’ interactions with multidisciplinary groups, including Revenue Integrity, Clinical Documentation Improvement, Case Management and Quality departments.
- Provides leadership and support to team members’ interactions with multidisciplinary groups, including Clinical Care Improvement, site specific initiative, and Vizient improvement initiatives.
- Guides individuals and groups toward desired outcomes, setting performance standards and delivering leading quality services.
- Establishes relationships and effectively collaborates with department and physicians, continuous improvement teams, and leadership.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of managers and staff, and actively participates in committees, project teams, and performance management initiatives.
- Stays informed and communicates goals, actions, and agendas to leadership, work area and patient-care staff.
- Maintains a positive cooperative relationship with all groups across coding and non-coding areas. Sets a positive example in collaborating initiatives, identifying solutions, measuring and sharing results and providing specific feedback.
- Maintains a supportive and positive working relationship with medical staff and senior level management; serves as an internal consultant throughout the organization on coding related issues related to including MS-DRG/ APC coding methodologies, physician documentation, and coding quality.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all company policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
For immediate consideration, please submit a recent resume in addition to a detailed cover letter with salary expectations.